Thursday, August 19, 2010

Bittersweet Endings and Exciting Adventures

Well, today is the day that could possibly change the rest of my life. I suppose we could say that about everyday of our lives since it is true that we never know what to expect; a simply moment could alter the course of our lives forever. However today I know some of the things I am to expect, for today I am moving away from my comfortable home in Colorado Springs, CO USA to go to a land down under. Today is the day I move to Queensland, Australia in order that I might teach others of the love of my Savior through his Word.

In ways this is a dream come true! I have wanted to visit Australia from the time I studied it in elementary school. The funny thing is I think what initially started my fascination with Aus is the fact that it was its own continent as well as country. Ahh, the logic of a child. :) At any rate, I have wanted to visit ever since. Now I feel like a kid in a candy store as God is asking me if I would like to visit the one place I have merely dreamed about going to. He is SO good to us! I will be on the Sunshine Coast of Australia for the next year or so teaching in a Bible school that I didn't even think I'd be able to finish as a student last year. I feel so inadequate for this role as a teacher and mentor, yet by the same token it has never been about me anyway. I am so excited for God to unleash giftings in me that I have never been able to see before. I know that through Him I will be able to do abundantly more than I ever imagined because THAT is the God I serve.

The reason this is bittersweet, however, is because of the loved ones I will be leaving in just a few short hours. There are so many big things that God is doing here in Colorado Springs and in the lives of the people I am blessed to call family. God is so faithful in pulling us together and closer to him even during the most difficult times we have gone through. Despite the pain of divorce, we have experienced the life of God flow richly through the lives of everyone involved. As children grow up and move on to new things - develop their own families, go on to further their education, and participate in new sports/activities, it becomes more difficult to be away and unable to celebrate with them.
The remaining category of loved ones is friends. I have met so many awesome, awesome people in the last year I have been home. It is so funny the people God brings into our lives; it is so different from who I would picture for myself. The older I get the more I realize that friendships come and go in seasons. Even a year and a half ago I did not expect for the friendships I had to change and move on, let alone be such good friends with those I had never even seen before. Once again, I see the faithfulness of the Lord. He knew exactly who I needed and those I did not in order that I may grow deeper in Him.

I am so thankful for the people God has put in my life in order that I might have such a solid support system for this new journey I am about to partake of. It is so difficult to have to leave these wonderful people, but I know that those friendships with both friends and family will stand the test of time and distance and will be all the more richer when I return. Thank you all so much for the love you have shown me. I look forward to telling you about the crazy adventures I was a part of and you can tell me the crazy adventures you've had on this side of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment